Monday, September 17, 2012

Day Two: Beloit to New Glarus 45-50 miles

Day Two is the long stretch.  I haven't taken the Beloit-Newark Road route yet, but it seems superior to the route I took on my Memorial Day ride. That included staying at the luxurious Copperstone Inn on Yale Bridge Road to Boswell Road to County Road K to St. Lawrence to Highway 81 to County Road T into Brodhead.  Rain washed out my Day Two of my mid-September ride.

If you have to bail out in Beloit or just want a one day ride, the Van Galder - Coach USA bus provide a vital escape hatch.  Get a taxi from downtown Beloit to the South Beloit Road Ranger / McDonald's on Highway 75 and I-90.  I won't try to bicycle there - it's car only territory.  The cab was $12 and I felt it was well worth it.




 
Once you get to Brodhead, the Sugar River Trail will take you to New Glarus.  There are two motel options there.  The inexpensive option is the Swiss Aire Motel.  I opt for the Chalet Landhaus.  The rooms with the balconies are really nice.  It's a little closer to town and it has a wonderful whirlpool that really helps the aches and pains of a 45-50 mile ride.




The Sugar River trail is 23 miles long.  It's reasonably fast and flat so the distance of the day two ride is made a little easier.

New Glarus has a tiny post-office where I often mail my dirty clothing back to myself and send postcards to my family and friend.  The off-loading really makes the third day ride into Madison easier.  It also allows you to pick up a few souvenirs like a t-shirt or sweatshirt.

New Glarus is best known for its outstanding brewery, but don't overlook the outstanding New Glarus Bakery and the delicious Swiss-German food at the Glarner Stube.



No comments:

Post a Comment